Cape Fear Academy Job Announcement
Applications are now being accepted for a newly created position, the Director of Operations, Safety and Security.
Cape Fear Academy
A learning community committed to discovering and developing individual potential, preparing each student for success in college and life.
Located in Wilmington, NC, Cape Fear Academy is southeastern North Carolina’s premier PK3-12 independent school. A learning community of 750+ students and 120+ faculty and staff members, CFA is guided by the mission of discovering and developing individual potential. To accomplish this goal, CFA offers students an impressive array of opportunities in academics, the visual and performing arts, and athletics. Our 47-acre campus has state-of-the-art facilities that provide a rich and inspiring physical environment for students to explore and develop their passions. More important, CFA boasts a committed faculty and staff who live the school’s mission in their daily interactions with students.
Teachers at Cape Fear Academy deliver high quality instruction that emphasizes critical thinking, written and oral communication, and collaboration in a technology-rich environment. CFA’s academic curriculum, recorded in an online mapping system, establishes clear, coordinated goals for each course and grade level while still allowing teachers the freedom to be creative and innovative in their instructional choices. Academic departments foster collaborative decisions about curriculum, materials, and departmental goals. This high level of collegiality as well as support for continuous professional development make CFA an ideal place to grow professionally.
All members of the CFA community are familiar with and expected to uphold and foster the core values of respect, integrity, resilience, and accountability. These core values are the cornerstone for a newly-developed leadership program that empowers students to develop leadership skills, enabling them to go further in school and in life.
Position Description: Director of Operations, Safety and Security.
To lead, develop, plan and evaluate policies and procedures in all areas of campus operations, including facilities and grounds management, construction management, custodial services, transportation, campus security and health and safety protocols, and food service. Responsible for project management, operations, budgetary planning, forecasting and implementation. Directly supervises our Facilities Manager, Facilities Technicians, Clinic Staff, and Security Officers.
· Create annual operating budget and capital renewal planning through Provision for Plant Replacement, Renewal and Special Maintenance (PPRRSM) budget for facilities department in conjunction with Assistant Head of School for Finance & Operations (AHOSFO) and with advice of the Facilities Committee, and control facilities expenditures.
· Supervise facilities manager in establishing and maintaining standards of physical plant janitorial, maintenance, and repairs with respect to the preservation of property, safety, the quality of students and faculty life, functional use and esthetic values.
· Responsible for personnel management, including performance evaluation, salary administration, and training and development for facilities, clinic and security staff.
· Support the AHOSFO by serving as a liaison and coordinating planners, architects, engineers, and contractors for campus master planning and major construction and renovation remodeling projects under the direction of the facilities committee of the board.
· Participate constructively in the strategic development and management of the campus (e.g. master plan, zoning compliance, utilities services, energy management)
· Coordinate construction work and oversees large renovation/new building projects
· Develop, implement and maintain a system to solicit, collect, and evaluate all requests for bids and contracts on all approved projects with the AHOSFO.
· Identify and manage preventative maintenance and capital project initiatives including buildings, mechanical systems, and equipment.
· Supervise purchase and maintenance of appropriate office furniture, fixtures, equipment, supplies and systems to support the administrative and educational needs of the school.
· Supervise clinic staff and security officers to ensure that all health and safety systems are fully functioning and that the security systems are operating at the level specified and within the expectations of the school community and security task force.
· Develop, administer, and implement the school’s crisis management and safety and security plans in accordance with the school’s security task force short and long- term strategies.
· Conduct training and drills on policies and procedures for employees and students regarding emergency management, general safety, and building security.
· Work with IT and Facilities & Maintenance departments to develop and implement building and ground security protocols including access control procedures, parking and traffic enforcement. Establish internal controls and conduct periodic inspections.
· Ensure compliance with local, state and federal mandates as it relates to school safety programs and reporting.
· Maintain a security call list and serves as 24-hour first responder for security calls.
· Develop and implement a positive work environment and team-building skills to enhance staff performance and well-being.
· Serve on the Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees.
· Ensure transportation program compliance with DOT and FMCSA
· Manage transportation program oversight to include bus safety, driver qualifications, and annual drug testing.
· Manage the school’s food service contract and oversee quality compliance.
· Performs other projects and duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge of operations for campus facilities systems, along with regulatory compliance principles and practices.
· Knowledge of federal, state, and local building standards and codes.
· Knowledge of public safety and security procedures, systems and leadership.
· Extensive experience with the hiring, supervision and monitoring of subcontractors.
· Ability to read and understand proposed plans, blueprints and schematics with a critical eye for practicality and costs.
· Strong background in school operations
· Skill in budget and resource management.
· Skill in independent decision making.
· Skills using technology and software including google suite.
· Skill in personnel leadership and supervision, along with management of large organizations.
· Ability to adapt and maintain professional composure in emergency and crisis situations.
· Ability to develop and maintain effective and positive working relationships.
· Frequently lift equipment and materials weighing 50 pounds or more.
· Crawl, climb ladders, twist, turn and reach in completing a variety of job duties.
· Work outside in hot or cold conditions for extended periods of time.
· Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and special events.
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, construction management, or a closely related field of study required.
· At least five years progressive and broad leadership experience in management of campus facilities systems, operations, and large construction projects.
· Directly related experience or a combination of directly related education and experience may be considered in place of the above requirements.
To apply please visit our website and click on “Apply Here”
Or use the link below: