Upper School Computer Science Teacher 2024 ( To begin January 1, 2024)
Porter-Gaud School is an Episcopal, independent, coeducational day school for 1,650 students in preschool through grade 12. The School is seeking a full-time Upper School Computer Science Teacher for the 2024-2025 school year but would welcome a start date as early as January 2024 based on candidate availability. Our Upper School division is composed of grades 9 through 12.
The Computer Science Department is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic individual who can collaborate effectively to continue driving innovation and educational leadership within the School. Over many years, the School has established a cutting-edge Computer Science program that employs a discovery-style approach in a student-centered, project-based learning environment. The program includes a mandatory course for all students, complemented by an elective program that requires an application/admission. The ideal teacher will hold the conviction that the connection a teacher establishes with students is fundamentally the most critical aspect of teaching. The Computer Science Teacher should possess experience in project-based learning and recognize the significance of a student-centric classroom, where student choice and creativity foster high levels of engagement.
The ideal candidate is someone who is continually researching and exploring innovative technologies, new projects, evaluation methods, and other resources. The School’s Computer Science program has been recognized at the national level for its innovation and success and is looking for someone to be able to actively contribute and help us take our program to even higher levels.
Some of the topics, technologies and languages currently being used include:
2D and 3D game development using PyGame with Python and Unity with C#.
Virtual Reality app development in Unity3D with C# for Meta Quest.
App development using tools such as Thunkable, Unity3D, and Xcode with Swift.
Robotics with Thymio robots.
Website creation using PHP, SQL, HTML, and CSS.
3D modeling in Maya or Blender.
The School is hoping to develop more in the areas of CyberSecurity and Artificial Intelligence. Experience with any of the technologies listed above is valuable, and welcome new ideas for engaging projects and innovative technologies. The goal of the Computer Science Department is to attract and retain students into Computer Science, with a commitment to students in underrepresented populations.
· Teach up to five classes per day in grades 9 to 12, ranging from introductory to advanced.
· Grade projects using rubrics developed by the CS department.
· Set and grade homework assignments.
· Maintain an Advisory of Upper School students.
· Participate actively as a team member within the Computer Science Department, the Upper School faculty, and the broader School community. Demonstrate a commitment to the well-being of all Porter-Gaud students and uphold the best interests of the School as a whole.
· A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, preferably with a major in computer science, STEM, or similar technology-related major or related industry experience.
· Experience teaching computer science at the secondary or post-secondary level, with preference for secondary level.
· Experience in project-based learning.
· Exposure to innovative curriculum design.
· Exposure to a variety of hardware and software.
· Experience exploring new technologies.
· Experience researching, exploring, and experimenting with new pedagogical ideas.
· Desire to contribute to CS professional learning on a regional and national scale, such as attending and presenting at conferences.
· Ability to support the school’s diversity and inclusion efforts. The Upper School Computer Science Teacher will display a continuous commitment to developing the attitudes, knowledge, and skills (intercultural competence) to engage in appropriate and effective communication with students, colleagues, and families from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We desire candidates who will contribute to the school’s efforts to continue creating a more inclusive and equitable community where all individuals can develop a sense of belonging.
Reporting: The Computer Science Teacher reports directly to the Head of Upper School and takes direction from the Computer Science Department Chair.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Email completed application (see link below), resume, and cover letter as PDF files to email@example.com; the name of your files should include your first and last names.
PG Employment Application
Porter-Gaud School is committed to increasing the racial, ethnic, and religious diversity of our faculty and staff. The School welcomes applicants who would bring additional dimensions to the School's teaching mission. In accordance with law, Porter-Gaud School is an equal opportunity employer and hires without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disability.
Porter-Gaud School is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of our students. We hold our employees to the highest possible standards. All employees are subject to extensive background check screenings and must sign our code of conduct. We strive to monitor employees while interacting with students. We take any inappropriate interactions between students and employees seriously and are committed to mandatory reporting standards as required by law. We will fully cooperate with authorities in any allegation or case of abuse.