The Head of Upper School reports to the Head of School and is responsible for carrying out the school’s mission, vision and academic programs. The Head of Upper School understands and responds to the opportunities and challenges of a diverse (38%) student population. The Head of Upper School provides proactive leadership to engage all stakeholders and works cooperatively with the faculty, counselors, Director of Student Life, staff, students, and parents to support a positive school climate.
The ideal candidate will display a willingness to promote the school’s core values and will have experiences within an independent school setting. They will demonstrate experience and expertise with faculty leadership, student guidance and supervision, program management, and parent relationships. The ideal candidate will have teaching experience and independent school administrative experience.
- Make mission-driven decisions to enhance the Upper School.
- Recruit, hire, and retain a highly qualified faculty.
- Guide the academic program of the Upper School.
- Partner with the Director of Student Life, counselors, and the teaching faculty to support students in feeling safe and valued within the school culture.
- Support day-to-day academics through monitoring instruction, good communication, personal availability, and classroom management guidance.
- Maintain the daily good order and day-to-day management of the students, in partnership with the Upper School faculty leadership.
- Identify professional development needs and growth opportunities.
- Review and uphold all student policies.
- Meet regularly with the Counseling Department to strategize about students as related to behavioral/academic difficulties and assist in developing programs to promote positive outcomes.
- Prioritize campus safety.
- Work collaboratively with academic leadership at PA to provide smooth transitions from divison to division.
- Serves as a member of the Administrative Leadership Team.
- Actively engages in the Pulaski Academy community, supporting students in academic, athletic, and fine arts pursuits.
- Researches and partners with other independent schools to share and implement best practices for teaching and learning.