University School of Jackson Middle School History Teacher and Middle and/or Upper School Coach
The University School of Jackson seeks an inspiring, innovative, and inquiry-driven educator to join our team as a full time Middle School History and Geography Teacher for the 2023-2024 school year. This educator will work with a team of top educators to help young men and women reach their full potential. The teachers should demonstrate a commitment to learning for all students by maintaining an organized classroom, presenting content-rich and standards-based lessons, and using a variety of instructional strategies that are reflective of the USJ mission. Additionally, this team member should demonstrate strong leadership skills and may be asked to contribute to the broader life of the school through duties, coaching, and/or sponsoring extracurricular programs.
University School of Jackson is West Tennessee's college preparatory school. As a non-denominational, non-sectarian school dedicated to academic excellence, USJ offers a challenging curriculum in a nurturing and safe environment. We educate students from infants through the 12th Grade. From the child-centered environment in the Lower School to the college advanced placement courses in Upper School, USJ offers students an education that will prepare them for college and success in life. Through the fulfillment of our mission and its focus on academic, artistic, and athletic excellence and personal integrity, mutual respect, and lifelong learning, we prepare our graduates to be responsible and informed world citizens. Please visit our website at www.usjbruins.org for more information.
This individual will
● Provide meaningful instruction in Middle School history courses using a variety of research-based and innovative teaching methods.
● Provide a meaningful coaching experience, value sportsmanship, and have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of athletics.
● Guide students in improved reading and writing skills by utilizing historical texts.
● Develop lesson plans and units of study that comply with the expectations of the History Department and of USJ’s educational philosophy and mission statement.
● Utilize a variety of innovative educational technology, including Google Classroom, digital textbook materials, audio and visual aids, etc.
● Be a curious and collaborative lifelong learner dedicated to facilitating and encouraging the growth of students and colleagues.
● Collaborate with colleagues and work to build trust with students, families, and fellow USJ faculty and staff members.
● Establish and maintain a safe and positive learning environment; take all reasonable precautions to protect students, facilities, and materials.
● Possess strong, professional character with an absolute drive for excellence, a team-oriented spirit, and a commitment to meeting the academic, emotional, and social needs of students.
● Motivate student learning and participation while ensuring the integrity of the academic experience.
● Reflect on one’s teaching practices through a combination of self-reflection, professional feedback, and professional development.
● Employ excellent written and verbal communication skills, including appropriately using technology to communicate with students, parents, and colleagues.
● Demonstrate effective time management and collaborative skills.
● Follow and comply with written and verbal directions and expectations of the Head of School, Middle School Director, Athletic Director, and Department Chair.
● Demonstrate cooperation and flexibility in performing other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in history, K-8 education, or other related field is required, teaching licensure preferred. The ideal candidate would coach two sports, either at Middle or High school level. Preferred credentials also include teaching experience in a text and writing centered classroom and proficiency with technology. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter of interest to Middle School Director Margaret Livingston (email@example.com) and Athletic Director Derick Pritchard (firstname.lastname@example.org).