Battle Ground Academy is a coeducational, college preparatory, independent school serving students in grades K-12 in historic Franklin, Tennessee. Founded in 1889, BGA is the oldest K-12 independent school in Williamson County. The school’s mission to ignite and nurture student curiosity, intellect, and character drives dynamic academic programs in a vibrant learning community.
Position Purpose: Battle Ground Academy is currently seeking an innovative and engaging kindergarten/primary teacher for the 2023-2024 school year. The ideal candidate will integrate a keen sense of intellectual curiosity with a deep conceptual understanding of best practices in instruction and child development; possess enthusiasm for learning and a growth mindset; and actively support the school’s mission. Experience with the Singapore approach to math, Writing Workshop, guided reading, and project/problem-based learning is desired. Excellent communication skills, a passion for working with young children and their families, and a positive, servant-leader attitude are essential. The ideal candidate is reflective of personal teaching practice, eager to grow professionally, and willing to collaborate in a joyful learning community.
- Designs and implements engaging and innovative learning experiences in keeping with the educational philosophy, curriculum, and mission of the school
- Demonstrates reflective and collaborative teaching, a growth mindset, and commitment to professional growth
- Employs formative assessment methods to support and shape learning, and provides authentic and meaningful feedback to promote academic growth
- Actively engages children to foster relationships so that every student feels known, loved, and valued
- Manages classroom effectively while creating a positive learning climate that promotes active listening, fairness, and respect for varied perspectives and worldviews
- Balances challenge and support, and demonstrates appropriate flexibility in response to individual student needs
- Actively facilitates a safe and engaging learning community and differentiates instruction for students as needed by employing a variety of strategies and materials in a manner consistent with BGA’s inquiry-based philosophy
- Promotes curiosity and innovative thinking; connects learning to other disciplines and authentic, real-world applications
- Introduces essential questions that encourage exploration and fosters student questions that promote curiosity, collaboration, problem-solving, and academic risk-taking
- Cultivates open, supportive, and consistent communication with parents, staff, and administrators in a positive learning environment
- Maintains the highest standards of professionalism, collegiality, and personal conduct while actively supporting the school’s mission and enthusiastically serving as an ambassador for the school
- Engages in the school community in the areas of school life, co-curricular responsibilities, and attending plays, concerts, etc.
- Actively serves as an ambassador of the school, particularly the kindergarten program, in the community
- Appropriately carries out specific assignments and fulfill other duties as assigned
- Complies with all conditions as stated in the employee and faculty handbooks
- Bachelor of Education degree in related subject; preference given to candidates with Master of Education degree and relevant teaching experience.
- Tennessee teaching certificate preferred but not required
- Proficient in the use of computer applications as required
To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently.
The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Sit, squat, bend, and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs
- Effectively manage a classroom of multiple students
- May require more than 40 hours per week
- Work in a dynamic environment with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of constituents
- May stand or work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time
- Work primarily in a traditional climate controlled classroom environment
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold