Job Title: Middle & Upper School Math/STEAM Teacher
Atlanta Girls’ School is the only independent school for girls in Atlanta, serving girls in grades 6–12. AGS authentically lives its mission by providing a challenging college-preparatory program in a learning environment designed to foster the full potential of each student and to enable her to become a vital contributor to our complex global society. Atlanta Girls’ School mission is to Inspire Girls to Lead Lives of Purpose.
The faculty member will be employed as a full time mathematics and STEAM teacher across the middle and upper school. The position consists of 5 sections of mathematics (or 4 sections and facilitating Learning Labs) and an advisory. Possible math courses range from Statistics, Calculus, 6th Grade STEAM, and Algebra II. The position is for the 2023-2024 academic school year.
The position requires working on campus as well as carrying out such duties as are normally associated with an educational position (including classroom and non-classroom duties). Applicants should have demonstrated success in working effectively with students, parents, and colleagues and have a commitment to best practices in teaching and learning.
Strong communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills, as well as creativity, are desired to join a highly relational and dedicated faculty. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mathematics Education or closely related field is required. Experience in an all-girls’ school environment is highly desirable but not required. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and statement of educational philosophy to the attention of Krista Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reports to: Director of Middle & Upper School
- Teaches a standard load of mathematics courses (typically 5 sections) in a manner consistent with the mission and educational philosophies of Atlanta Girls’ School
- Provides personal and academic guidance to an advisory group of students.
- Takes a student-centered approach by incorporating a variety of assessments, allowing for experimentation and iteration, and providing responsive instruction, including differentiation and flexibility.
- Leads and/or supports extracurricular activities, including a club and some after-school chaperoning consistent with typical after-school events.
- Works collegially in teams in ways that foster professional collaboration and exchange.
Is readily available to students for extra help and guidance outside of class.
- Communicates effectively with parents and responds to concerns in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Participates in grade level trips.
- Maintain a safe, comfortable, and engaging classroom.
Seeks out and engages in ongoing professional development.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, but Master’s degree preferred, in computer science, mathematics, engineering, product design, robotics, or industrial design
- Teaching or industry experience of 1 or more years
- Passion for hands-on problem solving and for teaching and learning
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across disciplinary lines
- Understanding how educational programs in STEAM align with and differentiate from traditional educational efforts
- Personal attributes including a strong work ethic, excellent interpersonal skills, a desire to catalyze change, and a willingness to take on new challenges
- Proficiency with STEAM tools, devices, and implements (e.g. CAD software, raspberry Pi, 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC routers, etc.)
- Position requires the physical and sensory abilities necessary to work in a school office environment, sitting at a desk/working on a computer for an extended period of time, and being able to move around the building and grounds and occasionally lifting up to 30 lbs. Employee must have a valid Georgia driver’s license or the ability to obtain a valid Georgia driver’s license.