Title: Middle School Language Arts Teacher
Position: 10-Month Position
Start Date: August 2023
Direct Report: Middle School Director
Maclay Middle School seeks a dynamic, skilled, and creative Language Arts teacher to teach in the middle school (6th, 7th, or 8th), serve as an advisor, and collaborate with a collegial and skilled team of faculty.
As a teacher and advisor, this person will serve as an integral member of the grade level team and Language Arts department. Deep knowledge of and appreciation for teaching Language Arts from multiple perspectives, as well as creating an environment that encourages learning, motivates students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to establish and continue a firm foundation to perpetuate the learning experience. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in teaching middle school, the ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues, and a desire to be part of an independent school community. Candidates should have experience integrating technology in the classroom and the ability to differentiate instruction to effectively work with a range of learners. Additional responsibilities include serving as an advisor, full participation in the life of the school, leading a club, serving as an athletic coach, or other initiative.
Reporting to the Director of Middle School, the Middle School Language Arts Teacher will be responsible for the following:
· Instruction, curriculum development, and extended classroom activities in the field of Language Arts.
· Use of the latest research, tools, and data to inform and enrich the experience for students.
· Guide students in developing skills essential to effective life-long learning practices including creativity, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration.
· Make interdisciplinary connections by teaming with colleagues.
· Model a growth mindset regarding best practices and important trends in curriculum, pedagogy, educational technology, and co-curricular activities.
· Serve as an advisor; participate in the life of the middle school through leading a club, serving as an athletic coach, or other initiative.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should upload a cover letter, resume, teaching philosophy and complete the online application. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.