The Woodward Academy Middle School strives to help students fulfill their potential in every facet of their lives. Woodward provides opportunities for students to expand their horizons through academics, arts, athletics, and community service.
Our dedicated teachers excel in their respective fields, and provide a stimulating, fun, and challenging environment. Whether they are promoting academic excellence or demonstrating personal accountability, the middle school teachers find creative and meaningful ways to communicate with their students.
This position involves teaching English/Language Arts to students in grades 7 and 8.
Specific duties include:
- Carrying out a program of study prescribed in the English curriculum
- Instructing students in subject content along with grading student work and assessments
- Creating a learning environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity, interests, and learning styles of the students
- Having a thorough knowledge of grammar and understanding its importance to the class and to student writing
- Demonstrating a high level of responsiveness to student needs, including the implementation of differentiated teaching strategies
- Managing student behavior in a manner that optimizes the learning environment
- Maintaining regular communication with students and their parents regarding progress
- Working cooperatively with other grade-level teachers develop instructional materials that are most appropriate for meeting curricular objectives and to implement pre-designed course syllabi and final exams
- Displaying a willingness to follow school and departmental procedures and regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills demonstrating tact and diplomacy
- Ability to leverage technology, including but not limited to Google Apps Suite, Microsoft Office, Interactive Whiteboard, in a 1:1 iPad environment.
- A solid understanding of learning challenges as well as the accommodations and differentiated learning techniques to support such
- Strong organizational and classroom management skills
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in English or Education from an accredited institution of higher learning
- 3+ years of successful teaching middle school preferred
- Independent school experience preferred, but not required
The Teacher, Middle School English position is a 10-month position.