Houston Academy is a premier, independent college preparatory school located in Dothan, Alabama. Houston Academy is searching for a Middle School Counselor beginning in July 2023. The Middle School Counselor at Houston Academy, first and foremost, loves children, especially middle school children. The Middle School Counselor has daily responsibility for the social, emotional, and educational well-being of children in his or her care. Consequently, a Houston Academy Middle School Counselor strives to have a child-centered environment at all times and should be willing to do whatever is necessary, both inside and outside the school day, to impact the lives of our children. The Middle School Counselor supports the social-emotional and academic needs of students in the fifth through the eighth grades. The Counselor works closely with the Head of Middle School, teachers, students, and parents to meet the needs of the Middle School community.
The Middle School Counselor should possess a minimum of a four-year degree in school counseling and experience in social-emotional counseling services.
● To provide academic counseling to students, including helping them set goals for improvement on specific subjects or topics;
● To support students who are struggling with mental health issues, bullying, family problems, self-esteem issues, or substance abuse problems;
● To oversee the Middle School Advisory and Guidance programs;
● To coordinate activities for students, including gatherings, dances, and field trips;
● To help students develop coping mechanisms;
● To meet regularly with teachers to discuss students’ progress in school and any concerns they may have regarding classroom behavior or progress toward academic goals;
● To schedule parent conferences to discuss academic, social, emotional, personal, or familial issues;
● To provide counseling services to students who have been victims of harassment;
● To develop strong relationships with middle school families, creating a positive environment for open communication;
● To collaborate with administrators, teachers, parents and other outside resources to support students and work to meet their needs;
● To build rapport with students, parents, and teachers by establishing and promoting a positive, safe, and kind environment;
● To assist the Head of Middle School with the day to day logistics and functioning of the Middle School as needed;
● To educate students through regular Guidance classes, teaching life skills involving character building and social-emotional learning;
● To collaborate with the Learning Service Department, especially the Middle School Learning Specialist, to assess student academic needs and make recommendations;
● To provide individual, small group, and crisis counseling as needed;
● To guide students and parents in making recommendations/referrals for making use of outside resources;
● To communicate with parents regularly to work together to meet the needs of students;
● To establish and coordinate the standardized testing done in the Middle School;
● To maintain student records and documentation;
● To work with the Dean of Students regarding student discipline/behavior issues;
● To collaborate with the Lower School and Upper School Counselors to promote unity throughout the HA community through programs, assemblies, and other special events;
● To perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Middle School or Head of School; and
● To support the school and its leadership at all times.
Salary will be commensurate with degree level and teaching experience.
Houston Academy is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the Alabama Association of Independent Schools.
Houston Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It strives to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, handicap or disability in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. It is the intent and resolve of Houston Academy to comply with the letter and the spirit of the law in the implementation of all facets of equal opportunity. This equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation and training.
If interested in this position, please email your vitae, list of references, and a personal/educational statement to Dr. Vince Janney at email@example.com . For more information, please visit our website at www.houstonacademy.com and our Facebook page.