Houston Academy is a premier, independent college preparatory school located in Dothan, AL. Houston Academy is searching for a Head of Middle School beginning in July 2023.
The ideal applicant will possess the following:
· a minimum of a four-year degree; a master’s degree is preferred;
· lengthy exposure to and experience in middle schools;
· a passion for working with middle school children;
· the ability to work well with parents and colleagues;
· an inspiring, innovative, and nurturing leadership style;
· a desire to be a life-long learner eager to participate in professional development; and
· excellent organization and technology skills.
The Houston Academy Head of Middle School leads the school’s programs for students in grades 5 through 8. He or she works as part of the Leadership Team to assist the Head of School in his/her duty to ensure that the school meets its mission and educational aims.
The Head of Middle School is charged with the comprehensive responsibility for all activities involving students and faculty in the Middle School. His/her specific responsibilities include the following:
● To maintain congruency between the school’s mission statement and all activities of the Middle School division;
● To act as the educational leader of the school division, responsible for its day-to- day operation; to direct the activities of the members of the school instructional and, in conjunction with the Director of Finance, the non-instructional staff in the performance of their duties;
● To function as the chief articulator of that division’s programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed consistent with their individual roles;
● To observe, supervise, and evaluate the faculty;
● To supervise the teaching process, and to review and evaluate the academic programs;
● To lead the articulation of the school mission, school goals, department goals, course objectives, materials, methods and means of assessment;
● To provide an orderly, controlled environment in which learning can take place, a school climate which is supportive and which reflects high morale ;
● To be aware of the educational, physical, social, and psychological needs of the members of our school community and to develop plans for meeting these needs;
● To oversee faculty committees;
● To ensure compliance with legal requirements of government regulations and agencies; to maintain the educational standards established by the State of Alabama and by those agencies that examine and accredit the school;
● To make recommendations to the Head of School regarding the hiring and retention, and the assignment of faculty;
● To establish programs for the orientation of new teachers, for in-service training of all teachers, and for the evaluation of classroom teachers, to ensure that teachers are familiar with and adhere to school policies in all areas of the school operation;
● To, working in conjunction with the Head of Upper School and Dean of Students, build the master schedule to be used in the Middle School;
● To strive for unity, harmony, and cooperation through tact, helpfulness, respect, and a recognition of individual differences and the special abilities and strengths of each teacher;
● To conduct regular meetings with faculty which will deal both with routine school matters and with the stimulating exchange of ideas on issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern;
● To oversee the coordination of the co-curricular and extra-curricular activity programs of the school; to assist in the planning and the presentation of school assemblies and programs; to assist in maintaining a comprehensive calendar of school events; to keep the entire school community informed of various school programs and activities;
● To assist the Head of School and Athletic Director in supervising and leading the athletic department for grades 7 and 8;
● To ensure academic guidance of students; to maintain complete academic records on all students; to oversee the grading and the reporting of standards and methods used by teachers in measuring student achievement;
● To be responsible for establishing guidelines for proper student conduct and dress; to maintain student discipline consonant with school policies; to monitor students’ adherence to established school rules; to maintain accurate records of student attendance and citizenship;
● To be a visible presence in all areas of the school; to work toward a resolution of all problems - both routine and unique - as they arise; to keep the Head of School informed of the general programs, activities, and problems of the school;
● To assign teachers and students to classes and other obligations;
● To serve as a consultant to teachers in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and general school procedures;
● To develop and supervise the enrollment and retention of Middle School students;
● To perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School; and
● To support the school and its leadership at all times.
Salary will be commensurate with degree level and teaching experience.
Houston Academy is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the Alabama Association of Independent Schools.
Houston Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It strives to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, handicap or disability in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. It is the intent and resolve of Houston Academy to comply with the letter and the spirit of the law in the implementation of all facets of equal opportunity. This equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation and training.
If interested in this position, please email your vitae, list of references, and a personal/educational statement to Dr. Vince Janney at email@example.com . For more information, please visit our website at www.houstonacademy.com and our Facebook page.