The Berkeley Preparatory School seeks an experienced, energetic, hardworking professional to join the well-established, effective and friendly Business Office team. Working with the Director of Finance and Business Operations, the Controller will foster the financial sustainability of the school within a culture of excellence, accountability, integrity, teamwork, and customer service. The successful candidate will have both prior controller-level work experience and independent school exposure, display a growth mindset, and consistently demonstrate a positive approach.
The duties and responsibilities outlined below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for excellent financial management of school’s financial resources via accurate and timely financial reporting and accounting
• Work to maintain a positive working environment that inspires and motivates others, communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, and foster an environment of respect and teamwork
• Supervise, review, and direct the work of the accounting staff
• Serve on the Berkeley Leadership Council and Financial Aid Committee
• Provide superior customer service relative to financial issues for all customers of the Business Office; parents, employees, department leaders, vendors, and more
• Maintain, evaluate, and implement optimal and appropriate internal controls
• Champion initiatives to review and streamline accounting policies/processes
• Oversee annual financial audits including preparing financial statements, footnotes, and schedules, responding to auditor requests and questions, and reviewing final audit report for accuracy
• Additional duties as assigned or required
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or relevant subject
• Minimum of ten years of accounting and management experience preferred
• Experience with Blackbaud Enterprise Solutions, including The Financial Edge accounting package, Tuition Management, and Raisers’ Edge development software is a plus
• Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point required
• Ability to work with people and information effectively and sensitively; maintain poise and confidentiality in all situations; support Berkeley’s mission and core values
• Effective management of ever-changing priorities or situations
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position with salary and full benefits. The compensation package will be very competitive nationally and commensurate with experience, degree attainment, and the national independent school and college markets.
Interested Persons please send a resume and detailed cover letter to:
Berkeley Preparatory School
All inquiries and nominations are kept confidential.
Berkeley Preparatory School does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or national or ancestral origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other School-administered programs, or in the administration of its hiring and employment practices. The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.