Instructional Assistants (IA) at Hancock Day School work alongside teachers to plan, organize, and implement an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. An Instructional Assistant’s main role is to support their cooperating head teacher(s) in different capacities to ensure optimal student success. In addition to providing instructional support to individual students and small groups, the Instructional Assistant’s duties may include clerical and supervisory responsibilities, involvement in lesson planning and preparation, and other tasks as designated by the teacher or administrator. Therefore, the Instructional Assistant’s role is subject to change based on the discretion of the cooperating teacher or administrator.
Qualifications & Skills:
● A Bachelor’s Degree – Required
● Experience working with children; classroom experience preferred
● A love and enthusiasm for teaching children
● Patience, creativity, optimism, and adaptability
● Knowledge of twenty-first-century learning principles and techniques
● Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
● A solution-oriented and growth mindset
● Assist head teachers in planning, designing, and implementing the curriculum.
● Assist with classroom management - during instructional time (behavior management), centers, recess, transitions, lunch, and special areas.
● Supervise and manage students during class and when the lead teacher is not present.
● Assist students with carrying out classroom activities during whole group instruction.
● Work with small groups or individual students to provide differentiated academic support.
● Participate in school-wide professional development.
● Attend faculty meetings as directed by the administrator.
● Facilitate arrival and dismissal by carrying out carpool duties.
● Observe students and communicate findings to lead teachers.
● Implement age-appropriate activities and monitor safety throughout.
● Support head teacher with parent communication (weekly newsletters, emails, and posting to technology platform).
● Maintain classroom supplies - sharpen pencils, replace glue sticks, etc.
● Help maintain a clean and organized classroom.
● Ensure sanitation of all surfaces, equipment, and toys.
● Assist teachers with clerical duties including but not limited to making copies, filing, preparing communication folders, and putting up bulletin boards.
● Accompany students to the bathroom, nurse, library, etc. as needed.
● Enter attendance daily.
● Deliver instruction in the absence of the lead teacher.
● Maintain appropriate classroom discipline and decorum.
● Work hours: 7:45 am - 3:30 pm; Weekly after-school meetings
● Early morning duty 7:30 am - 8:00 am as assigned
● Occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling.
● Active working environment that requires standing and movement.
● Minimal temperature variations.
● Generally hazard-free environment.
The Hancock Day School is a co-educational, independent day school with students Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 8. The policy of Hancock Day School is to recruit, hire, train and promote employees without discrimination based on race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, veteran status, or disability.