Under the leadership and guidance of the assistant head for academic and student life, the academic dean provides instructional leadership to the faculty by overseeing all matters related to curriculum, instruction, and student assessment with clear and comprehensive biblical and Christ-centered faith integration.
Biblical and Christ-centered faith integration
● Alongside the principals, provide leadership to the Instructional Leadership Team, biblical integration workgroup, and faculty in gaining a deeper understanding of biblical integration and engaging in practices that more systematically and explicitly accomplish such integration into the curriculum.
● Further the meaningful integration of the academic CROSS principles and biblical throughlines into all areas of life and learning at Whitefield.
● Consistent with our strategic plan, lead in further deepening Christ-centered transformational learning for each student.
● Coordinate the review, development, and revision of all programs and related curriculum documents and materials, including the curriculum database, curriculum guides, course outlines, and teaching plans in order to align curriculum and instruction to biblically integrated high-quality standards of learning.
● Partner with faculty in evaluating and selecting instructional materials to meet student learning needs.
● Lead curriculum review and adoption, ensuring implementation of the curriculum review cycle, vertical alignment to high-quality standards across all divisions, integration of Whitefield’s core set of transferable skills, and maintaining updated resources (monitoring textbooks and other curricular materials to ensure they are current and aligned to our mission) for the PreK – 12 program.
● Oversee the selection and evaluation of course offerings consistent with the mission of Whitefield Academy and with relevant local and national standards/requirements.
● Develop and maintain an effective process for summer reading as well as communication regarding summer reading and required textbooks for the upcoming school year.
● In collaboration with division principals, make recommendations regarding hiring, retention, and teacher assignments.
● Under the direction of the assistant head of academic and student life, and in conjunction with the principals, provide leadership in the work of the Instructional Leadership Team to cultivate continuous growth in teaching and learning among all faculty.
● Partner in the orientation and mentoring of new teachers.
● Develop and implement plans for coordinated and systematic professional development and in-service targeting well-defined school-wide objectives, as well as defined needs based on faculty input and/or assessment data.
● In conjunction with principals and instructional coaches, support the professional growth and development of faculty and team members through mentoring, coaching, classroom observation, and evaluation.
● Assist with professional development by making faculty aware of opportunities, facilitating the approval process, and maintaining accurate records of faculty professional development.
● Foster a faculty climate conducive to scholarly inquiry and professional growth.
● Lead initiatives to provide more student access to technology, consistent with our philosophy for technology and conducive to effectively and efficiently meeting learning objectives.
● Provide leadership and coordination for the SAIS/SACS accreditation process and the CESA institutional review.
● Collaborate with the division principals, school counselors, academic enrichment center in the provision for academic support and success for students of Whitefield.
● Support best practices in curriculum and pedagogy through research on teaching and learning and act as a catalyst for the best educational practices for Whitefield.
● Oversee the school-wide standardized testing program and other assessments of student learning, including the PreK-12 assessment calendar..
● Analyze, interpret, and summarize test scores and other academic data to make recommendations and develop priorities for improvement and professional development.
● Manage the collection of ongoing assessment data and provide data in user-friendly formats.
● Assume responsibility for design and implementation of a local system of assessment to include data gathering and analysis.
● Facilitate grading and assessment alignment with curriculum objectives.
● Communicate periodic summaries of academic trend data to various constituents.
● Communicate academic strategic plans, progress, and changes using a variety of venues and communications methods.
● Work closely with the registrar to collaborate on scheduling.
● Assist parents with academic concerns/questions.
● Represent the school at various functions/events, particularly those related to the academic program of the school.
● Assist with developing partnerships with top performing Christian schools and universities to benchmark against the highest standards of academic rigor and programmatic excellence while remaining firmly rooted in a Christ-centered mission.
● Teach at least one class per year.
● Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Professional and Personal Attributes, Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
● Earned master’s degree in educational leadership, curriculum and instruction, or other related field.
● Extensive experience teaching in a PreK-12 setting.
● Demonstrated experience integrating faith and biblical principles in a meaningful way into the classroom.
● Leadership, managerial, collaborative, and organizational skills, particularly within PreK-12 settings.
● Strong team building skills and the ability to work effectively and collegially with various constituents, with a particular ability to develop rapport with teachers.
● Highly developed skills in written and oral communication, human relations, and creative problem solving.
● Self-starter with a strong work ethic.
● Demonstrated instructional technology and computer literacy and proficiency (e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, email, Internet, presentation software, Google applications, online grade book programs, interactive whiteboards, etc.).
In addition, the person should:
● Commit to living his/her life under the lordship of Christ
● Model a consistent daily walk with Jesus Christ, and be a Christian role model in speech, actions, and attitudes, which contributes to the spiritual atmosphere of the school
● Believe and affirm the school’s Statement of Faith
● Commit to exhibiting Whitefield’s core value for our students to experience diversity that reflects the body of Christ and support the school’s diversity vision that aims at unity in Christ
● Demonstrate evidence of consistent spiritual activities such as worship at a local church, fellowship with the body of Christ, personal devotional time with the Lord, and individual study of scripture
● Evidence the fruit of the Spirit in the nurturing of relationships with other staff members, students, families, and the community at large
● Be actively involved in a local church
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A request for reasonable accommodations must be submitted to the HR department.
Work for this position will take place primarily in an office, and secondarily in a classroom. The physical demands of this position include lifting up to 25 pounds regularly, and between 26 and 50 pounds intermittently; carrying up to 10 pounds regularly, up to 25 pounds intermittently, and up to 50 pounds rarely; climbing/balancing, kneeling, and crawling rarely; reaching, bending, stooping, and crouching intermittently; sitting, walking, and standing regularly; pushing/pulling often. To perform this job the person must be able to work for extended periods of time at a computer/keyboard; must be able to talk, hear, stand, sit, and/or walk for extended periods of time; and must possess normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
Nothing in this job description restricts the School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
This full-time position will begin July 1, 2023. To apply, please go to www.whitefieldacademy.com under About Us/Employment Opportunities. Whitefield Academy is an equal opportunity employer.