Frederica Academy seeks a combination Middle School General Music & Drama Teacher, a 10-month faculty position, to begin in August 2023. Ideally, the teacher could teach both general music and introductory drama courses. The school will consider candidates who can only teach general music.
The FA Middle School consists of approximately 150-160 students in grades 5 through 8. Students in fifth and sixth grades are required to take enrichment courses as part of a rotation. Students in seventh and eighth grade participate in an electives program.
The position primarily encompasses:
● teaching general music classes to fifth and sixth grade students
● leading elective courses in seventh and eighth grade (these courses may either be music-related or have an introduction to drama focus)
● assist with school performances – music, drama, special events – across all three divisions
The new faculty member will join a team of dedicated arts faculty who support an interdisciplinary model. Instilling a love of music and the arts in all students at Frederica Academy is an ongoing goal of this position.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
● Instruct students in General Music practice; assess and ensure student progress
● Sing and lead classes with proper vocal techniques; prefer ability to accompany on piano or guitar
● Maintain an actively engaged classroom environment to support student learning
● Instruct and assess students in a positive environment.
● Select appropriate music and materials which will contribute to age-appropriate understanding, technique and appreciation of music
● Promote a positive environment that enhances student learnings as well as professional relationships
● Pursue professional development opportunities and maintain membership in Arts affiliated organizations
● Perform other duties as assigned, which may include student advising, club or activity sponsorship, coaching or trip chaperoning
● In coordination with the Fine Arts department, develop outreach programs that connect Arts education to other community Arts partners
● Participate in Admissions Open House and support Development and Admission efforts. Participate in school events whenever possible
● Attend and support after-school activities and programs (i.e. concerts, sporting events).
● Support the school’s commitment to diversity and multicultural education.
● Complete required Human Resources training each year (CPR, first aid, mandatory reporting, etc.).
● Participate in all faculty and department meetings as called
● Bachelor’s degree in Music Education or similar program
● String instrumentalist or piano accompanist preferred
● Audio-Video Technology knowledge/ specialty preferred
● Early adolescence teaching experience preferred
● Fluency and proficiency in educational technology
● A strong desire to work in a collaborative community
● Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness to a variety of learning styles and a range of abilities
● Ethical behavior, professionalism and a respect for diversity
● Strong instructional and classroom management skills
● Energy, empathy, flexibility, and collaboration
● Good organizational and communication skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual can expect the possibility of a stressful environment while dealing with a wide variety of challenges and can anticipate deadlines with a varied array of student situations. The noise level in the work environment is usually commensurate with singing and musical performance by young children. Varied extreme outside weather conditions during special activities and school events are possible. The employee will primarily teach indoors with occasional field trips off campus. Some evening and weekend commitments are required.
Frederica Academy is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all personnel and applicants for employment without regard to race; color; national origin, religion; gender identity, sexual orientation; age, disability; or status as a veteran, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local laws.