The Savannah Country Day School is seeking Spanish teacher candidates for an opening in the 2023-2024 academic year. This faculty member will teach a combination of Spanish courses with a maximum class load of 5. Standard duties for this position include the preparation of course objectives and outlines for course of study in conjunction with the Department Chair following curriculum guidelines or requirements of the school. Qualified candidates should have a passion for helping students to explore Spanish language, culture and literature using a variety of pedagogical techniques. A willingness to engage in a critical dialogue about instructional practice with peers and a desire to be involved in a wide range of school activities in and outside of the classroom are also essential. The ability to coach a sport is highly desirable, as is the willingness and desire to lead international student travel. All Upper School teachers are required to lead or assist with at least one extracurricular and also serve as advisors.
Interested candidates can view more about the school on our website at https://www.savcds.org.
● The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Spanish, as well as five or more years of teaching experience. Advanced degrees are strongly preferred.
● The ideal candidate will have experience teaching AP Spanish.
● Strong sense of humor, flexibility, and a strong desire to work with teens is required.
● Excellent communication skills and a willingness to function as part of the World Language Department team is desired.
● Attendance at evening and weekend functions is occasionally required.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume (including references), and statement of educational philosophy to Jonathan Day, Head of Upper School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Savannah Country Day traces its origins back to the 1905 founding of The Pape School, an institution long recognized for its academic excellence and college preparatory curriculum. Led by a group of visionary parents who saw the continued need for a first-rate college preparatory school in Savannah, the founders of Savannah Country Day built upon the assets of the Pape School and created a school with a recognized tradition of academic excellence across the southeast. Today, Savannah Country Day School is Savannah's preeminent college preparatory school providing a rigorous, yet supportive learning environment for a wide variety of motivated learners. Enrolling over 900 students ranging from 4 month olds to 12th grade, SCDS is truly a family school. Situated on a beautiful, 65-acre campus on the south side of historic Savannah, Georgia, SCDS has a 6:1 student to teacher ratio, an unparalleled arts program and a full range of athletic and extracurricular opportunities. Significant funds are available for faculty professional development and our faculty average 21 years of experience with 85% of Upper School faculty holding advanced degrees.
Inclusion at Savannah Country Day School:
The Savannah Country Day School is guided by the school’s mission statement which includes:
● that each student's life is enriched in a diverse community where differences among people are affirmed and celebrated;
● that the school shares with families the responsibility for fostering in each student strength of character, a sense of personal responsibility, and an attitude of faith, reverence, and tolerance;
SCDS seeks candidates of all cultures and backgrounds who embrace the school’s mission of diversity, are eager to engage in the work of inclusion and have a desire to join a community of diverse individuals who celebrate their similarities while also recognizing their individuality.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer