Lower School teachers maintain a learning environment that supports the Charlotte Preparatory School mission statement and upholds the four pillars of leadership - Respect, Integrity, Perseverance, and Courage.
Charlotte Preparatory School is committed to sustaining a professional, inclusive, and collaborative environment where diversity in thought and culture is welcomed. The school is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from candidates who reflect such diversity.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
- To teach language arts, literacy, social studies, mathematics, and science to students in a classroom, utilizing course of study adopted by Charlotte Preparatory School.
- Instruct students in citizenship and character development.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials to provide differentiated and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and aligned with the diversity and inclusion mission.
- Use a variety of instructional strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc to facilitate higher-level thinking.
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional and respectful.
- Supervise students in out-of-classroom activities during the school day such as recess, lunch, or traveling to specials.
- Evaluate students’ academic and social growth, keep appropriate records, and prepare progress reports and report cards.
- Administer group standardized tests, when applicable.
- Communicate with parents through conferences, phone calls, and e-mail to discuss students’ progress and interpret the school program.
- Identify student needs and collaborate with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Create an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, interest centers, and use of educational technology.
- Maintain professional competence through professional growth activities and collaboration.
- Engage in professional growth opportunities, as suggested by school leaders and/or of personal interest, that support the strategic growth and success of the school.
- Participate cooperatively with the Lower School Head to develop the method by which the teacher will be evaluated in conformance with guidelines.
- Maintain and modify pacing schedules as part of the curriculum mapping.
- Participate in grade level, divisional, and full faculty meetings and serve on faculty committees.
- Attend divisional and school-wide required events (i.e. open houses, curriculum night).
- Dress professionally as outlined in the faculty handbook.
- Present a positive image of Charlotte Preparatory School to the outside community, including social networking sites.
- Other duties as assigned by Head of Lower School or Head of School.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university is required, and a master's degree in education is preferred.
- A valid teaching certificate is strongly encouraged.
- A minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in a lower school and independent school is preferred.
- Team orientation – able to work effectively with all members of the school, including the administrative team, other faculty members, parents, and students.
- Strong communication and organizational skills with high levels of attention to detail.
- Positive, enthusiastic, flexible, and warm personality.
- Strong work ethic, proactive, and success oriented.
Reports directly to the Head of Lower School.
Please direct resume, cover letter, and references to Ms. Katherine Slayton, Interim Head of Lower School; email@example.com.
Charlotte Preparatory School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, or any other legally protected classification applicable to Charlotte Preparatory School in administration of its educational policies, employment policies, admissions policies, financial aid, athletic and other school-administered programs. Candidates from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.