Job Title: Upper School English Teacher
Department: St. Agnes Academy Upper School English Department
Reports to: SAA Upper School Dean
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Dean, the teacher is responsible for teaching in the Upper School English Department. Additionally, the teacher should foster the intellectual, social, physical, and faith development of students in the Upper School experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The position requires that the instructor
- Recognizes and supports the unique Catholic, Dominican Mission of St. Agnes Academy by speaking, acting and instructing consistent with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Demonstrates effective planning skills by preparing lessons designed to implement stated goals and objectives and by incorporating school curriculum objectives in lesson plans.
- Demonstrates competence in teaching by implementing current, thorough knowledge of curriculum and subject matter, being able to communicate effectively with students, and being able to organize classroom learning and materials to maximize student time on task, as well as motivate student learning.
- Counsels students for the purpose of improving performance, health status, appropriate behavior, problem solving techniques and a variety of personal issues.
- Demonstrates and differentiates methods required to perform classroom and/or subject specific assignments for the purpose of providing an effective program that addresses individual student needs.
- Develops and uses effective methods of evaluation that are directly related to curriculum objectives and to concepts and skills taught; consistently and effectively evaluates student progress.
- Assesses student progress towards learning targets, objectives, expectations, and/or goals for the purpose of providing feedback to students’ parents and administration.
- Supports other classroom teachers for the purpose of assisting them in the implementation of established curriculum and/or individual student plans.
- Establishes a consistent disciplinary approach that promotes self-direction and positive self-image. Sets high standards for student behavior and manages inappropriate behavior effectively for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Advises parents of student progress for the purpose of communicating expectations, student achievements, developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
- Monitors students in a variety of educational environments for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Participates in a variety of meetings and professional development activities for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions and to improve student achievement.
- Cooperates with school administration and works effectively with all staff members to promote positive relationships with students and parents.
- Be involved in extracurricular activities each academic year. Extracurricular assignments will be determined during the course of the hiring process or determined during the course of the school year to meet the needs of enriching the academic, physical, social, and spiritual growth of our students.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of St. Agnes Academy.
An Ideal Candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in English. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Evidence of at least three (3) years of exemplary classroom teaching experience at the high school level (ages 14-18 priority).
- Proven ability to conduct formative assessment and demonstrate technology integration at a high level. Ability to work with students varying in ability and learning styles, both nurturing and challenging as necessary.
- Deep understanding of student learning theory, brain-based learning, and differentiated instruction.
- Proven ability to collaborate with teachers regarding student learning.
Candidates should email a completed application and credentials (cover letter, resume, and a list of references) to Heather Valdez, Dean of the Upper School (email@example.com). The position will remain open until filled.
St. Agnes Academy-St. Dominic School is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to promoting diversity in the workplace and strongly urges all qualified individuals to apply.
St. Agnes Academy-St. Dominic School is a Catholic, independent school in Memphis, Tennessee, inspired by the Dominican Pillars of Study, Prayer, Community, and Service. We have a supportive, familial school connected by a warm, welcoming atmosphere. The school,
which offers both single-gender and co-educational programs in grades PK2-12, is committed
to growing well-balanced students, mind, body, and spirit, in a faith-filled environment.