The Art Teacher will be responsible for developing in each student an interest in and the ability for creative expression in visual terms, using skills and techniques of artistic expression consistent with school guidelines; to develop aesthetic understandings and appreciations; to discover and develop passions and talents of students in the field of art.
This person needs to be passionate about student centered learning and be committed to combining the power of forward-thinking skill development with the purposeful integration of research-based learning. Knowledge and practice of Understanding by Design teaching framework is preferred. Miami Country Day School is a college preparatory learning community committed to educating the whole child. Through the core values of honor, respect, wisdom, compassion, and purpose we prepare students to be lifelong learners.
- Maintain an inspiring and appropriately equipped Art classroom.
- Collaborate and create with a team of fellow artists and other core curriculum professionals for the enhancement of common artistic goals and educational experiences.
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning, using the Understanding by Design model of instruction.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate
- Include a variety of teaching methodologies including multiple modalities of instruction.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing community norms that support core values and procedures.
- Responsibilities inherent in teaching elementary aged children using developmentally appropriate curriculum and fostering positive social skills and community core values.
- Work with the Grade Level Teams to discuss and plan activities and student progress.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Physical Requirements:
- Three years Art teaching experience, preferably in an independent school.
- BFA or BA degree required in Art Education; MFA or MA degree preferred.
- Must be an innovator, invigorator, and visionary in working to develop and evolve the Lower School Visual Arts Curriculum.
- Must be able to work with other Arts professionals to align curriculum across divisions.