Director of Development
Brentwood Academy (BA), a 6-12 Christ-Centered independent college preparatory school, is seeking a Director of Development. The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of BA’s fundraising, including the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, alumni relations and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with the Head of School, Associate Head of School and Board of Trustees in all development and fundraising endeavors. This 12-month, full-time position reports to the Associate Head of School for Enrollment Management and External Affairs and supervises the Assistant Directors of Development, Development Coordinator and Gifts Manager.
Qualifications: This position requires a bachelor's degree and 7-10 years of experience in professional fundraising, ideally in a Christ-centered independent school university. Candidates must have the ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
This position also requires demonstrated success in:
- Extensive organizational and people skills with experience in working independently.
- Enthusiasm for the school's mission and ability to share that excitement with others.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Desire to build a small and highly motivated volunteer team that can help meet the financial vision of the school.
- Budget management.
- Proficiency in computer skills and using Microsoft Office programs.
- Proficiency in database management (experience with Veracross or similar software preferred).
- Excellence in organizational and managerial skills in a non-profit.
- Passion for working with a wide range of individuals from various backgrounds, including colleagues, faculty, parents, alumni, alumni parents, and grandparents.
- Familiarity with Brentwood and Middle Tennessee is preferred but not required.
- Cultivate a culture of giving and gratitude across all constituencies.
- Establish and execute forward-thinking development/advancement and strategic programs that optimally grow the annual, major, and capital campaigns; legacy gifts; and planned giving.
- Oversee all aspects of the development program, including fundraising, leading the annual giving program, guiding the capital campaign, soliciting corporate and foundation grants, and planning and managing special development events.
- Enhance existing relationships while building new relationships, systems, and programs that further tap into the generosity and resources of the community.
- Nurture and maintain a highly collaborative relationship with the head of school, associate head of school and individual board members, supporting them in all their fundraising responsibilities, and accompanying them on donor visits when appropriate.
- Oversee $33 million capital campaign and all related events, activities, and reporting, as well as oversee the Campaign Steering Committee.
- Develop strategic cultivation and annual solicitation programs specifically targeting parents, grandparents, alumni, faculty, staff and past parents.
- Serve in leadership as a member of the school's administrative team.
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office and the Communications and Marketing Office on public relations initiatives and the production of fundraising-related communication materials to expand and enhance the school's visibility and reputation.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Development and Alumni Relations to strengthen relationships with the school's alumni and alumni parents, and further develop alumni programming.
- Serve as the liaison to the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Develop and oversee donor stewardship efforts to strengthen relationships with past benefactors of the school.
- Identify corporate and foundation funding opportunities and help draft grant applications.
- Maintain a database of all contributors and provide development reports as required.
- Affirm the Brentwood Academy Statement of Faith
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- 7-10 years of experience
- Christ-centered independent school experience preferred
- Strong administrative/clerical skills
- High proficiency with technology
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively
- Capacity for light lifting will be required during event set up
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Collaborative skills to coordinate with all departments on campus